So, it is now wrong to ask people to not smoke in hospital premises?
Wrong enough to be punched in the hospital itself?
So does it mean healthcare staffs are just supposed to walk around with eyes yet blind, and tune-off to their surroundings, with a “I don’t care attitude!” and don’t voice out anything that is improper? If we dare do anything, we should be prepared to not only be verbally, but physically abused?
Gosh…we weren’t given that manual in med-school!
Should we incorporate SELF DEFENCE as a subject in all healthcare related modules?
Praying for the speedy recovery of surgeon, Mr Pritzwald-Stegmann ^
Sharing some snippets from this article from The-Age-Victoria’s :
“Mr Pritzwald-Stegmann is aged in his 40s and is the father of two young children.
It is believed he was on his way home at the end of his shift and became concerned about people smoking near the hospital doors when the assault occurred.”
“Detective Senior Sergeant Ian Shepherd said the surgeon was hit in the face and fell to the ground unconscious.
Mr Pritzwald-Stegmann was stabilised at Box Hill Hospital before being transferred to The Alfred where he underwent surgery on Tuesday night. He remained in a critical condition in intensive care on Wednesday.”
Violence in Victorian hospitals
- An October 2016 Fairfax Media analysis of health services’ annual reports showed there were 8627 reports of occupational violence in Victoria’s public hospitals in the year to July, and of those 1166 resulted in staff injury or illness.
- April 2017: A nurse at the Royal Melbourne Hospital was allegedly held hostage at knife point and by a 60-year-old male patient.
- October 2016: A patient angry about waiting for care drove their four-wheel-drive through the glass doors of the emergency department at Sunshine Hospital. In a separate incident at the same hospital, a patient slit their wrists, sprayed blood on staff and punched a nurse in the face repeatedly.
- April 2016: A patient cornered two staff in a trauma ward at Royal Melbourne Hospital and punched a nurse in the face.
- February 2014: Neurosurgeon Michael Wong was stabbed up to 30 times in the foyer of Footscray Hospital as he arrived for work.